The primary purpose of BECC is to support border communities to identify, develop and achieve BECC certification and NADB funding for environmental infrastructure projects that improve human health, promote sustainable development, and contribute to enhancing the quality of life in the border region.
|$657.81m||Million Dollars USD in
Projects by Environmental Sector
13 - Water and Wastewater
The fundamental objective of water and wastewater projects is to eliminate exposure to unsanitary water conditions, which can have immediate and severe health and environmental impacts.
6 - Solid Waste Management
BECC and NADB address the environmental and human health concerns related to improperly handled solid waste and helps improve the quality of life of border residents.
12 - Air Quality
Projects such as street paving, improved urban mobility and more efficient public transportation are aimed at improving air quality and respiratory conditions for people living along the border.
Closed Out Projects in Sonora
The Close‐Out Process provides a review of physical facilities constructed, facility performance and achievement of objectives as reflected in a results measurement matrix.
- MEX Sonora Puerto Penasco Air Quality and Street Paving Project in Puerto Peñasco, Sonora $4.5m
- MEX Sonora San Luis Rio Colorado Construction of a Sanitary Landfill, Closing of Current Dumpsite, and Improvements to the Municipal Solid Waste Services in San Luis Rio Colorado, Sonora. $4m
- + View all Projects with Close Out Reports
Project Pipeline for Sonora
|$9.4m||USD in Estimated
- 900 MEX Sonora San Luis Rio Colorado Expansion and Improvements of the Water and Wastewater Systems in San Luis Rio Colorado, Sonora. $9.4m
- 894 MEX Sonora Hermosillo "Orejana" Solar Park Project in the municipality of Hermosillo, Sonora N/A
- 872 MEX Sonora Caborca Solar Project Los Juan Pablos de 43.42 MW in Caborca, Sonora. N/A
- + View All
Technical Assistance Grants for Sonora
BECC provides technical assistance for project development through the EPA-funded Project Development Assistance Program and through a special technical assistance program funded with its own operating budget. Additionally, BECC manages EPA funds to support the development of strategic initatives and specific projects linked to the objectives and goals of the Border 2020: U.S.-Mexico Environmental Program
|$4m||in Technical Assistance Grants|
EPA Funded Grants
BECC Funded Grants
Border 2012: U.S-Mexico Environmental Program
The Border 2012: U.S.-Mexico Environmental Program is a collaborative effort of the United States and Mexico to improve the environment and protect the health of the nearly 12 million people living along the border. To support EPA and SEMARNAT in their efforts to achieve results, BECC provides its services to facilitate stakeholder meetings, as well as to identify, contract, and manage projects.
Projects in Sonora
|34||Projects Managed by BECC|
|$1.3m||Million Dollars USD
Funded through EPA
- 20073 MEX Sonora San Luis Rio Colorado Guidelines for the Management of Special SW(SSW) in the Northern Borde communities of Sonora $28,767 3
- 20284 MEX Sonora Nogales Strengthening local capacity in Nogales, Sonora to integrate green infrastructure for sediment control $0
- 20301 MEX Sonora Nogales Green infrastructure in Nogales Sonora $0
- + View All Projects
News for Sonora
May 22, 2017 - The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Region 9 and the Border Environment Cooperation Commission (BECC), in coordination with the North American Development Bank (NADB), are pleased to announce a new project application and prioritization cycle for drinking water and wastewater…
Meeting of the Arizona/Sonora Regional Workgroup of the U.S.-Mexico Environmental Program: Border 2020
January 05, 2015 - Border 2020 Regional workshop held in Arizona to review task force plans
Publications & Reports
Pavings Needs Report per Satellite Images for Nacozari, Sonora, Mexico [Spanish]
Published July 01, 2011
El presente “Diagnóstico de Necesidades de Pavimentación por Imágenes Satelitales para la ciudad de “Nacozari de García, Sonora”; forma parte del Programa Estatal de Diagnósticos Satelitales para Necesidades de Pavimentación del estado de Sonora;… More Info »