The primary purpose of BECC is to support border communities to identify, develop and achieve BECC certification and NADB funding for environmental infrastructure projects that improve human health, promote sustainable development, and contribute to enhancing the quality of life in the border region.
|$6.64b||Billion Dollars USD in
Projects by Environmental Sector
80 - Water and Wastewater
Providing new or improved services to 12 million border residents with a capacity to adequately treat more than 456 million gallons per day (MGD) of wastewater discharges, equivalent to the wastewater discharge of nearly 12.8 million people.
2 - Water Conservation
Estimated to save energy and to decrease water losses by approximately 330 MGD; enough to serve the average demands of some four million people.
22 - Solid Waste Management
Accommodating approximately 1,550 tons/day of waste previously disposed of in open or uncontrolled sites, benefiting more than 2.9 million people.
17 - Clean and Efficient Energy
Anticipated to prevent greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to almost 1,320,629 metric tons of CO2 per year.
31 - Air Quality
Projects related to paving and urban mobility which eliminate approximately 170,000 tons per year of PM10, caused by vehicular traffic on unpaved roadways.
Closed Out Projects in Mexico
The Close‐Out Process provides a review of physical facilities constructed, facility performance and achievement of objectives as reflected in a results measurement matrix.
- MEX Chihuahua El Millón - Cd. Juárez Wastewater Collection and Treatment Project for El Millon, Chihuahua $1.3m
- MEX Chihuahua Colonia Esperanza Mpio. Praxedis G.Gro. Expansion of the Water Disribution System in Colonia Esperanza, Chihuahua. $333.4k
- MEX Nuevo León Los Herrera Construction of a Sanitary Landfill in the Municipality of Los Herreras, Nuevo Leon. $130k
- MEX Chihuahua Barreales, Mpio. de Guadalupe D.B. Wastewater Collection and Treatment Project for Barreales and Juarez y Reforma, Chihuahua. $2.6m
- MEX Baja California Tecate Water and Wastewater Collection Project in Tecate, Baja California. $2.7m
- MEX Baja California Playas de Rosarito Playas de Rosarito, BC., Mex.: Metropolitan Urban roads and streets System $40.9m
- + View all Projects with Close Out Reports
Project Pipeline for Mexico
|$525.2m||USD in Estimated
|3.4m||People to Benefit|
- 843 MEX Baja California Ensenada Desalination Plant in San Quintin, Baja California N/A
- 900 MEX Sonora San Luis Rio Colorado Expansion and Improvements of the Water and Wastewater Systems in San Luis Rio Colorado, Sonora. $9.4m
- 894 MEX Sonora Hermosillo "Orejana" Solar Park Project in the municipality of Hermosillo, Sonora N/A
- + View All
Technical Assistance Grants for Mexico
BECC provides technical assistance for project development through the EPA-funded Project Development Assistance Program and through a special technical assistance program funded with its own operating budget. Additionally, BECC manages EPA funds to support the development of strategic initatives and specific projects linked to the objectives and goals of the Border 2020: U.S.-Mexico Environmental Program
|$17.42m||in Technical Assistance Grants|
EPA Funded Grants
BECC Funded Grants
Border 2012: U.S-Mexico Environmental Program
The Border 2012: U.S.-Mexico Environmental Program is a collaborative effort of the United States and Mexico to improve the environment and protect the health of the nearly 12 million people living along the border. To support EPA and SEMARNAT in their efforts to achieve results, BECC provides its services to facilitate stakeholder meetings, as well as to identify, contract, and manage projects.
Projects in Mexico
|150||Projects Managed by BECC|
|$5.3m||Billion Dollars USD
Funded through EPA
- 20247 MEX Chihuahua Cd. Juárez Biosolids Recycling in Agriculture in the Valle de Juarez $0
- 20101 MEX Sonora Agua Prieta Capacity Building, Training and Equipping of Emergency Response Teams in Sonora's Border Cities for First Response Contigencies due to Hazardous Materials $77,917 5
- 20124 MEX Baja California Mexicali House electric appliances Reverse fabrication to recover GreenHouse gases in Baja California $100,000 2
- + View All Projects
News for Mexico
May 22, 2017 - The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Region 9 and the Border Environment Cooperation Commission (BECC), in coordination with the North American Development Bank (NADB), are pleased to announce a new project application and prioritization cycle for drinking water and wastewater…
November 11, 2016 - On September 21-22, the Green Infrastructure Forum III was held at the Autonomous University of Coahuila’s Digital Library (Infoteca Central) in Arteaga, Coahuila. The event was hosted by the State of Coahuila, the Border Environment Cooperation Commission, the North American Development…
Publications & Reports
FINDING OF NO SIGNIFICANT IMPACT:Rehabilitation of Wastewater Collection Main Lines Phase II Poniente Collector in Tijuana, Mexico
Published December 05, 2016
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Region 9 intends to award a Border Environment Infrastructure Fund (BEIF) grant to the Comisión Estatal de Servicios Públicos de Tijuana (CESPT) in Tijuana, Mexico for rehabilitation of… More Info »